The Super Over, also known as the One Over Eliminator is a method used in the Indian Premier League(IPL) since 2008 to determine the winner of the match in case of a tie. When the scores of the two teams get equal the match is considered to be a tie and the super over will used to determine the winner.
IPL Super Over Rules
Can a Super Over bowl with a new ball?
The fielding captain or his nominee shall select the ball with which he wishes to bowl his over in the Super Over from the box of spare balls provided by the umpires. Such box to include the balls used in the main match, but no new balls.
The team fielding first in the Super Over shall have the first choice of the ball. The team fielding second may choose to use the same ball as chosen by the team bowling first. If the ball needs to be changed, then playing conditions as stated for the main match shall apply.
First Super Over Rules
- The Super Over will take place on the pitch allocated for the match (the designated pitch).
- Subject to weather conditions the Super Over will take place on the scheduled day of
the match at a time to be determined by the Match Referee. In normal circumstances, it shall commence 10 minutes after the conclusion of the match.
- The umpires shall stand at the same end as that in which they finished the match.
- In both innings of the Super Over, the fielding side shall choose from which end to bowl.
- The team batting second in the match will bat first in the Super Over. (i.e)The Batting team will continue to bat after equalling the score while the bowling team will remain in fielding.
- Both the teams are allowed to face 6 deliveries(one over) with an allowance of two wickets per side. If the batting team loses the two wickets before the end of the over it then considered as the end of their inning.
Rules when First Super over Tied
At the end of the super over the team which gets the highest run will be declared as the winner of the match. If again the super over results in a tie then there will be unlimited number of super overs will be bowled to determine the winner.
But the subsequent super overs will be played with a slight modification in the rules. The modified rules are as followed
- Any batsman dismissed in any previous Super Over shall become ineligible to bat in the following Super Over. The batsman who remains unbeaten in the previous super over can play in the consecutive super overs.
- Any bowler who bowled in the previous Super Over shall become ineligible to bowl in the subsequent Super Over. While the bowling team should introduce a new bowler from their playing XI.
- In all other ways, the procedure for a subsequent Super Over shall be the same as for the first Super Over.
List of IPL Super over matches played so far
|Sr. No.||Date||Teams||Venue||Match Score|
Super Over Winner
|1||23/04/2009||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Cape Town||150|
|2||21/03/2010||Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab||Chennai||136||Kings XI Punjab|
|3||16/04/2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals)||Bangalore (now Bengaluru)||152|
Royal Challengers Bangalore
|4||07/04/2013||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore||Hyderabad||130|
|5||29/04/2014||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Rajasthan Royals||Abu Dhabi||152|
|6||29/04/2017||Gujarat Lions vs Mumbai Indians||Rajkot||153||Mumbai Indians|
|7||30/03/2019||Delhi Capitals vs Kolkata Knight Riders||Delhi||185||Delhi Capitals|
|8||02/05/2019||Mumbai Indians vs Sunrisers Hyderabad||Mumbai||162||Mumbai Indians|
|9||20/09/2020||Delhi Capitals vs Kings XI Punjab||Dubai||157||Delhi Capitals|
|10||29/09/2020||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Mumbai Indians||Dubai||201|
Royal Challengers Bangalore
|11||18/10/2020||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders||Abu Dhabi||163|
Kolkata Knight Riders
|12||18/10/2020||Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab||Dubai||176||Kings XI Punjab|
|13||25/04/2021||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Delhi Capitals||Chennai||159||Delhi Capitals|