IPL 2022 New Rules and Format: BCCI re-introduces the IPL 2011 playing format after confirm that IPL 2022 will be played with 10 teams in total. A total of 74 matches will be played including 4 playoff matches.
As of before, the 8 teams will play 60 matches in total where each team will play 14 league matches each, they will face each team twice in the league match.
Playing 14 league matches the teams will play a total of 7 matches in their home ground and others in an away ground (which may be the home ground of the opponent team). After introducing an additional 2 teams in the tournament having the home ground comfort seems to be a bit difficult.
Confirming this a BCCI office-bearer said, “We cannot have home & away matches with 94 games in IPL 2022 as there is no window so we will re-introduce the old format which used in 2011”.
IPL 2022 New Rules and Format
The IPL 2022 format is not something unfamiliar to the IPL cricket community. The format has been used in 2011 IPL where the tournament is played with a total of 10 teams.
- The ten teams are divided into two groups of five.
- A random draw was used to determine the groups and who plays whom across the groups once and twice.
- In the group stage, each team plays 14 games facing the other four teams in their group two times each (one home and one away game), four teams in the other group once, and the remaining team two times.
- IPL Points Table system: The team winning a match will be awarded 2 points. The losing team will not receive any points. In case of a draw or no result, both teams will be awarded 1 point.
- A four-game playoff stage following the Page playoff system is held after the group stage. Four games will be played in the playoffs:
- Qualifier 1: between the teams ranked first and second in the group stage.
- Eliminator: between the teams ranked third and fourth in the group stage.
- Qualifier 2: between the loser of Qualifier 1 and the winner of the Eliminator.
- Final: between the winners of Qualifiers 1 and 2.
IPL 2022 Mega Auction
The mega auction is a major boost for franchisees that want to rebuild their squads. With two new teams likely to be added to IPL’s roster from 2022, the mega auction has become even more interesting.
Initially, the mega auction was to be held ahead of IPL 2021 but with franchises suffering losses due to the pandemic and also with not much time gap between IPL 2020 and 2021, the mega auction was postponed by a year.
A report suggests that, ahead of next year’s mega auction, the franchises would be allowed to retain a maximum of four players each.
As per the conditions, the team management can either retain three Indian players and one overseas player or two Indian players and two overseas players.
The franchises would deduct the salaries of these four players before entering the auction. With two new teams, the BCCI will also increase the purse from 85 crores to 90 crores which means an additional 50 crores would be added to the budget of all ten franchises by the BCCI.
In case if a franchise retains three players, Rs 15 cr, Rs 11 cr, and Rs 7 cr would be the salary structure of those players, Rs 12.5 cr and Rs 8.5 cr if two players are retained; and Rs 12.5 cr if only one player is retained.
“Some players may like the idea of not wanting to be retained and will want to head into the auction pool. That’s because there’s an increase in the salary purse and two new teams are being added. So, there’ll be a rush to grab talent. Expect some leading Indian cricketers to forward their names for the auction,” those tracking developments told.
IPL 2022 Auction Date
The IPL 2022 Mega Auction will be held somewhere between December 2021 or January 2022. IPL 2022 is expected to play in its regular April-May window. In that case, hosting a mega auction in January 2022 is the only possible window for the team to settle.