South Africa vs England
South Africa vs England

South Africa vs England 2nd ODI has postponed due to ‘unconfirmed’ positive COVID-19 tests. After the completion of 3 T20I matches, the Proteas has scheduled to play three ODI matches against England.

The initial match of the series has postponed before an hour of the match. Owing to one of the SA players tests positive for COVID-19. The second match of the series also faces the same due to ‘unconfirmed’ positive COVID-19 tests.

South Africa vs England 2nd ODI Postponed

Cricket South Africa and the England and Wales Cricket Board said in a joint statement that the decision had been taken while they “await the outcome of the independent ratification of the two unconfirmed positive COVID-19 tests from the England camp and the continued health and wellbeing of both playing groups”.

South Africa vs England 2nd ODI postponed
South Africa vs England 2nd ODI postponed

“Once the findings of this review have been received, CSA and ECB will then discuss how best to proceed concerning the remaining two matches of this ODI series,” the statement added.

CSA said the England players and management underwent an additional round of tests on Saturday evening. This happens after two members of staff at their hotel tested positive for the virus.

The staffs were tested after it emerged that the unnamed South African player had tested positive despite reportedly not having left his team’s “bubble”.

Mike Atherton fears on series cancellation

Former England captain Mike Atherton, now a commentator and journalist, had said he feared the entire series could be under threat after Sunday’s match was cancelled.

Mike Atherton
Mike Atherton

Atherton said the new positive cases had “ramped up” the concern that the England camp already felt after the opening match was postponed.

“Certainly this match is off and I would be pessimistic about the other games,” said Atherton.

SA vs ENG 1st ODI cancelled

Three Twenty20 internationals were played before the latest scare. The second and third one-day internationals were scheduled to be played at Newlands in Cape Town on Monday and Wednesday.

Sunday’s opener was cancelled after it was initially announced that the start at Boland Park in Paarl would be delayed while the England party awaited the test results.

SA vs ENG 1st ODI cancelled
SA vs ENG 1st ODI cancelled

Graeme Smith, CSA’s director of cricket, said he was “deeply regretful” that the match could not go ahead “given the amount of time and energy that has been put in place to host a successful tour”.

Both teams are staying in what was labelled a “bio-secure environment” in a Cape Town hotel.

The teams checked in to the hotel on 18 November, although they stayed in separate areas. One South African player was found to be positive in tests conducted when the players arrived.

He and two other players who were said to have had close contact with the infected player were placed in isolation.

Two days later a second player tested positive. Who has been part of the “bubble”. The planned intra-squad practice matches later cancelled.

All the remaining South Africans came through a fresh round of tests a day before the first of three Twenty20 internationals. Which played without any health issues.

But alarm bells went off when a new positive diagnosis involving a South African player. Which received on Friday, leading to the initial postponement. The match postponed an hour before the scheduled start, of the first one-day international.

SA team doctor Shuaib Manjra said after Friday’s postponement that he was concerned about a possible breach of the bio-secure bubble. He said he was surprised because he had confidence in the arrangements around the tour.

All the SA players were tested again on Friday evening. It was announced on Saturday that all had returned negative results and that the series would start on Sunday.

What if South Africa vs England series cancelled

The possible cancellation of the remaining matches will have serious implications for cash-strapped Cricket South Africa who were due to earn a reported $4.2 million (3.46 million euros) for the television rights.