PCB disagrees with FICA’s Claim of PSL Payment Delays

PSL

The Pakistan Cricket Board has denied the delay in the player payments in the Pakistan Super League, following a report by cricket’s global players union.

PCB disagrees with FICA’s Claim of PSL Payment Delays

The PCB has denied FICA’s claim which registered reports of late or non-payment across several major franchise leagues over the last 24 months.

FICA is currently governed by the first female president Lisa Sthalekar which was confirmed in the FICA Executive Committee meeting in Lyon on June 2022.

The Federation of International Cricketers Association launched a new league hub on Wednesday morning which is designed to be a resource for players, their agents, and Player’s associations to help them.

FICA has mentioned that one player in four has been experiencing payment issues that were sanctioned in the leagues and that it has received reports of payment issues in the major franchise tournaments.

It includes leagues like the IPL, WPL, Bangladesh Premier League, Lanka Premier League, Canada’s Global T20, Major League Cricket, and the Abu Dhabi T10, as well as the PSL.

On this occasion, Usman Wahla, the PCB’s director of international cricket operations, denied that PSL has paid players later.

“There is no – and never has been – any delay in player payments in any of our nine [PSL] seasons… we have written to FICA to rectify this in their document.”

The PSL’s contract terms have mentioned that players should receive 70% of the match fee within seven days of their arrival in Pakistan, and the remaining 30% within 40 days of their final league match.

Previously PCB has denied the issues of late payment on PSL’s history when the Australian all-rounder pulled out of the final stage of the 2022 season alleging that PCB has failed to honour his contract.

Tom Moffat, FICA’s CEO, said in a press release: “The growth of domestic leagues around the world has been a great thing for cricket and has provided a number of new opportunities for players.

However, inconsistencies with the treatment of players have led to the landscape being considered by many as the ‘Wild West.’

“FICA continues to advocate for fit-for-purpose global regulation and increased accountability in the domestic leagues’ landscape to protect all stakeholders, including players. This should include contract minimum standards and effective pay enforcement mechanisms, for example.

“In the meantime, we want [to] play our role in supporting players, their associations, and agents, by providing information in the Leagues Hub to assist their decision-making.”

“We also welcome engagement from domestic leagues who wish to work directly with players collectively to raise standards and ensure their league aligns with international best practices in an increasingly competitive market,” concluded Tom Moffat.