Raj Bawa Biography: Hailing from a sports background family Raj Bawa made a record-breaking knock in ICC U19 World Cup 2022 when he scored unbeaten 162 runs against Uganda.
Raj Angad Bawa’s grandfather Tarlochan Singh Bawa was a national hockey player who had played a key role in helping India clinch the gold medal in the 1948 London Olympics.
Though Raj Bawa’s father and grandfather took the hockey stick for India, the Nahan-born choose to wear Indian cricket jersey.
Raj Bawa Biography – Overview
Raj Angad Bawa
|Date of Birth||November 12, 2002|
Nahan, Himachal Pradesh
Father – Sukhwinder Singh Bawa
Mother – Will Update Soon
Siblings – Will Update Soon
DAV Public School
GGSD College, Chandigarh
India Under-19, India A Under-19, India B Under-19
Raj Bawa Biography
- Raj Bawa was born in Nahan, Himachal Pradesh.
- His father Sukhvinder Bawa is a coach of many Indian cricket players like Yuvraj Singh and pacer VRV Singh.
- His father used to play hockey for Haryana’s junior team and in 1988, he was even selected for the India U19 camp but due to a slipped disc injury, at the age of 22, he became a coach.
- While Raj Bawa was growing up, he was more interested in dance and theatre.
- According to him his love for cricket started when he visited Dharamshala stadium with his father.
- His father saw him bowling for the first time at the Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Gurugram. He was eleven years old at that time and took five wickets in the first match.
- Raj’s grandfather Tarlochan Singh Bawa, was a member of the Indian Hockey team that
the 1948 Olympic Games in the United Kingdom.
Raj Bawa Cricket Career
- When Chandigarh got the BCCI affiliation, Raj Bawa’s family shifted from Gurugram to Chandigarh, and Raj joined the coveted DAV Public School and transferred from PCA to UTCA and have represented the team ever since.
- In the U-19 Challenger Trophy 2021, he scored 154 runs – including a century – and grabbed eight wickets.
- BCCI named the batting all-rounder in the India U-19 squad for the Asia Cup, along with his friend Harnoor Singh Pannu – another talented batter from Chandigarh.
- Raj Bawa has been a part of the ACC U19 Asia Cup 2021 winning squad.
- Raj Bawa scored 91 runs in 4 matches he played with a high score of 43* against Afghanistan U19.
- He was benched in the matches against UAE and scored 25 vs Pakistan, 43* vs Afghanistan, 23 vs Bangladesh.
- Raj Bawa bagged 8 wickets in the 4 matches he played at an economy of 5.18.
- Raj Bawa was named in the ICC U19 World Cup 2022 squad led by Yash Dhull.
- In the first group match of the tournament, Raj Bawa scored just 13 runs with bat but shined with ball by picking 4 wickets in the match against South Africa U19.
- His 4 wickets includes dismissing dangerous batsman Dewald Brevis(65), SA skipper George Van Heerden(36), Andile Simelane(6), and final wicket Aphiwe Mnyanda(5).
- On January 19, 2022, in the group match against Ireland U19, Raj Bawa scored 42 runs and went wicketless.
- On January 22, 2022, India registered their biggest victory by runs in the U19 World Cup 2022 after defeating Uganda by 326 runs at the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba, Trinidad.
- With most of the players out due to COVID-19, Nishant Sindhu led the team in the match against Uganda. Raj Bawa and Angkrish Raghuvanshi were the star performers for the Indian team in the match.
- Both the batters scored tons and added 206 runs for the third wicket which is India’s highest in the tournament.
- Raghuvanshi scored 144 runs while Raj Bawa remained unbeaten on 162. Raj Bawa smashed eight sixes and 14 fours in his 162-run impressive knock.
- Raj Bawa now holds the record for the highest individual score by an Indian in the U19 World Cup. Earlier, the record was held by Shikhar Dhawan who scored 155 runs in the 2004 edition of the tournament against Kenya.
- India’s 405-run total is the highest by any team at this edition of the U-19 World Cup.
- On January 29, 2022, in the Quarter-Final 2 of the tournament Raj Bawa failed to score a single run and even failed to pick a wicket under his name. It was Angkrish Raghuvanshi who leads the team to the semifinal of the tournament with his struggled 44 runs off 65 balls.
- On February 2, 2022, in the Semi-Final 2 against Australia U19 Raj Bawa didn’t get a chance to bat and went wicketless while providing 20 runs from 3.5 overs he bowled.
- Raj Bawa picks his first five-wicket haul of the ICC U19 World Cup 2022 against England in the finals of the tournament. He finished the tournament with a figure of 9.5 overs – 1 maiden – 31 runs – 5 wickets.
Raj Bawa Unknown Facts
- Raj bowls with his right arm but is a left-handed batsman. In an interview, he said that he changed his batting stance after watching Yuvraj Singh. He idolizes Yuvraj and has the same jersey number as his.
- In an interview, he talked about this and said, “I picked up No 12 because of several reasons. My late grandfather’s birthday is on February 12. My idol Yuvraj also used to wear jersey No 12, as his birthday is on December 12. I celebrate my birthday on November 12 “.
- Raj Angad Bawa’s grandfather Tarlochan Singh Bawa was a national hockey player who had played a key role in helping India clinch the gold medal in the 1948 London Olympics.
- Bawa holds the record of the highest individual score by an Indian in the U19 World Cup when he scored unbeaten 162 runs against Uganda U19 in ICC U19 WC 2022.
Raj Bawa Batting Stats
Raj Bawa Bowling Stats