Table of Contents
ICC ODI World Cup 2023 Venues: The Grand ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 is scheduled to play between October 5 to November 19 in India. A total of 48 matches will b played between 10 teams across 10 different venues in India.
It will be the first time the competition is held entirely in India; three previous editions were partially hosted there – 1987, 1996, and 2011.
As of the previous edition, the 2023 edition will be played between ten teams. The current format involves a qualification phase, which takes place over the preceding three years, to determine which teams qualify for the tournament phase.
ICC ODI World Cup 2023 Venues
BCCI announced the list of ICC World Cup 2023 Stadiums with locations[venues] that spread across 10 different cities across India.
- The Narendra Modi Stadium will host a total of 5 games including the tournament opener, final and the most awaited India vs Pakistan match.
- The tournament kicks off on October 5 with the first match between New Zealand and England at Narendra Modi Stadium.
- A total of 48 matches will be played across 10 different venues in India.
BCCI decided to grant INR 50 crores for each stadium to upgrade their Infrastructure that was shortlisted to host the World Cup 2023 matches. Earlier, ICC announced the World Cup 2023 rules and format for group and knock-out stage games.
The 48 matches of the Cricket World Cup 2023 will be played across 10 different stadiums in India. Check out the 2023 World Cup Stadiums List along with the capacity, and number of matches scheduled to play there.
|Stadium||Location||Matches||Capacity||Best Stand||Best Hotels|
|Narendra Modi Stadium||Ahmedabad||5||1,32,000||CHECK||CHECK|
|M. Chinnaswamy Stadium||Bengaluru||5||40,000||CHECK||CHECK|
|M. A. Chidambaram Stadium||Chennai||5||50,000||CHECK||CHECK|
|Arun Jaitley Stadium||Delhi||5||41,842||CHECK||CHECK|
|Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium||Hyderabad||3||55,000||CHECK||CHECK|
|BRSABV Ekana Cricket Stadium||Lucknow||5||50,000||CHECK||CHECK|
|Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium||Pune||5||37,406||CHECK||CHECK|
World Cup 2023 Teams
As host, team India will automatically qualify for World Cup 2023. Along with India, six other teams have qualified for the World Cup 2023. Following are the details of the World Cup 2023 Teams.
- South Africa
- New Zealand
- Sri Lanka
2023 World Cup Qualification Process
The ICC Cricket World Cup Super League 2020-23 will be the primary qualification pathway for the tournament. The top seven sides in the CWCSL table, along with India, who will qualify automatically as hosts, will gain direct entry into the tournament.
The five remaining teams on the CWCSL table, the top three teams from ICC Cricket World Cup League 2 and the top two team teams from the 2023 World Cup Qualifier Play-off will then contest in the 2023 Cricket World Cup Qualifier, which will decide the final two teams to qualify for the World Cup.
World Cup 2023 Format
- Ten teams will contest for the coveted trophy.
- The tournament will follow a similar format to the 2019 edition in England and Wales, with a round-robin stage followed by the knockouts.
- All 10 teams will compete against each other once in the round-robin stage.
- A victory earns the winning side two points in every match, while a no-result will mean the sides share a point each.
- The top four teams at the end of the round-robin stage will qualify for the semi-finals.
- The winners of the two successive semi-finals will contest in the final, where the champion will be crowned.