SA20 League Rules: Cricket South Africa introduced various changes in the existing rule ahead of the inaugural SA20 league. The first match of the tournament will be played on January 10 between MI Cape Town and Paarl Royals at Newlands, Cape Town.
SA20 League Rules
SA20 League Rules: A total of 33 matches will be played among 6 teams and all matches will be live-streamed on the Jio Cinema in India. The six teams will play each other twice in the group stages of the competition before the top three sides move to the play-off stages.
The six teams finalised their 17-member squads during the player auction. Each team is allowed to field up to 4 overseas players in a match. This will give plenty of opportunities for homegrown Proteas stars including young local talent to shine while playing alongside the best cricketers in the world.
Cricket South Africa has announced the prize amount for the title winner while all teams have launched their official team jersey for the tournament. Following are the details of the SA20 League Rules:
- Each captain can nominate 13 players to take the field before the toss.
- After the toss, each captain can select their final starting XI and the remainder of the players will automatically become substitute players.
- SA20 League Points Table Rules: Winning team will be awarded four points and a bonus-point win generating five points.
- The bonus point will be awarded to a team who achieves a run rate of 1.25 times that of the opposition.
- In case of no result, both teams will be awarded two points, while the losing team will not receive any points.
- The pace of play will be protected without suspensions with captains charged with in-game penalties for slow over-rates through fielding restrictions.
- There has been an amendment to the free-hit rule, a bowled dismissal can’t lead to byes if the ball ricochets off the stumps.
- No runs can be taken off an intentional attempt to run out the batter if a direct hit deflects off the stumps.
- There will be two strategic time-outs of 2 minutes and 30 seconds in duration in each inning. The time-outs are to allow the teams to re-group tactically.
- Six Powerplay overs will be implemented where only two fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle.
SuperSport, Sky Sports and Sports 18 Network are set to broadcast in South Africa, the UK and India respectively. CHECK: SA20 League Live Streaming Details For All Locations
SA20 League Rules For Play-off
SA20 League Rules For Play-off: In the event of teams finishing on equal points, the right to progress through to the final and those to play in the play-off will be determined as follows:
- The team with the most number of wins.
- If still equal, the team with the highest number of bonus points.
- If still equal, the team with the highest net run rate.
- If still equal, the team with the most number of wins over the other team(s) who are equal on points and have the same number of wins.
- If still equal, the team with the highest runs-to-wickets ratio throughout the tournament.
- If still equal, the team with the highest wickets to runs ratio throughout the tournament.
In a match declared as a No Result, run rate is not applicable.
The first semi-final will include the team finishing top of the group stages against the team finishing fourth. The second semi-final will be between the teams finishing second and third respectively. The winners of the two semi-finals will contest the final.
The final match of the tournament will be played on February 11 at The Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg.