MS Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL: MS Dhoni stuns the cricket world by announcing his decision of stepping down as Chennai Super Kings captain on March 24, 2022. CSK named all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja as their new captain for the IPL 2022 season.
Dhoni – the name itself gives goosebumps for many cricket fans and the remaining will get into their edge of the seat once they start to read Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL.
During his captaincy reign, Chennai Super Kings won 4 IPL trophies in 12 editions they featured(2008-2015, 2018-2021).
Dhoni has captained in 204 matches in the IPL, winning 121, losing 82 and one match ended in a no-result with a win percentage of 59.60. He also gathered 4456 runs as a captain in the tournament and was a part of the Rising Pune Supergiants for two seasons in 2016 and 2017.
MS Dhoni scripts a bunch of records in his cricket career, CHECK MS Dhoni Records List in All formats. Before that check out Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL below:
MS Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL
Following are the details of the Dhoni Captaincy Records in IPL:
- Dhoni leads the list of most matches as captain where he played in 204 IPL matches as captain.
- His teams (CSK and RPSG) won 121 of those matches while losing 82 games. One match did not provide a winner.
- Dhoni’s win percentage as the skipper of an IPL team is 59.60.
- CSK has won four IPL titles under Dhoni’s captaincy – in 2010, 2011, 2018, and 2021.
- Besides that, the yellow army has also won two Champions Trophy titles in Dhoni’s reign – in 2010 and 2014.
- CSK were runners-up thrice with the latest one being 2020 when the team came close to winning the title but were beaten by MI in the final.
- Dhoni is one of the three Indian captains who have won more than one IPL title, with the other two being Rohit Sharma and Gautam Gambhir.
- Dhoni is joint-highest with Rohit Sharma in terms of total trophies – six.
- Dhoni is the only Indian captain to have won more than one Champions Trophy title.
- Dhoni is the only player to have captained 200+ matches among the IPL franchises.
- MS Dhoni holds the record of most dismissals by a wicket-keeper in IPL. MS Dhoni has 161 dismissals under his name during his 2008-21 captaincy era.
- During the IPL 2021 final against Kolkata Knight Riders, Dhoni became the first-ever cricketer to play 300 T20 matches as captain.
- MS Dhoni also becomes the oldest skipper to win the tournament when CSK lifted IPL 2021 trophy. The 40-year-old edged past Shane Warne had won the inaugural edition with Rajasthan Royals at the age of 39 and Adam Gilchrist who guided Deccan Chargers to IPL victory in the 2009 season at the age of 37.