Table of Contents
WTC 2023 Teams Qualification Scenarios: The 2021–2023 ICC World Test Championship is the second edition of the ICC World Test Championship of Test cricket. It started on 4 August 2021 and is scheduled to finish with the Final on June 7, 2023, which is scheduled to be played in The Oval, London.
WTC 2023 Teams Qualification Scenarios
WTC 2023 Teams Qualification Scenarios: England, West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan and Bangladesh are mathematically out of the race with the teams being incapable of reaching the 60 PCT mark.
Thus here we will discuss the WTC 2023 Final Qualification Scenario for the top 4 teams of the WTC 2021-23 Points Table.
WTC Final Qualification chances
- Australia – Qualified
- India – Qualified
WTC 2023 Final Qualification Scenario – Australia
Australia has done brilliantly by accumulating 132 points with a 78.57 per cent winning rate in WTC 2021-23.
They smashed West Indies 2-0 and hammered the Proteas in the first two Tests. However, their biggest challenge will be touring for the Border-Gavaskar series in India early next year.
- Australia qualifies for the WTC 2023 Final match after defeating India in the 3rd Test match of the Border Gavaskar Trophy 2023.
WTC 2023 Final Qualification Scenario – India
The ideal scenario for Rohit Sharma’s men would be winning all their remaining matches, which is possible considering India’s overwhelmingly good record against Bangladesh and their strength at home against any team around the world.
If they win all of the rest of their Tests, their win percentage will jump up to 68.06, which gives them a good chance at reaching the top two considering either South Africa or Australia – or both sides – are expected to take a hit in the coming weeks.
- India qualified for the WTC 2021-23 final match after the 4th Test of Border Gavaskar Trophy 2023 ended in a draw. India won the series by 2-1.
WTC 2023 Format
The tournament will be played over two years, with 69 matches over 27 series scheduled for the league stage from which the top two teams will advance to a final. Each team is scheduled to play six series, with three at home and three away.
Each series will consist of two to five Test matches. Each participant will play between 12 and 22 matches. Each match is scheduled for a duration of five days.
WTC 2023 Points System
- The points system was changed from the previous edition. In this edition, 12 points would be available for each match regardless of how many matches there are in a series.
- A win is worth all 12 points, a tie is worth 6 points each, a draw is worth 4 points each, and a loss is worth 0 points.
- A team that was behind the required over rate at the end of a match would have one point deducted for each over it was behind.
- As in the ICC WTC’s previous edition, teams are ranked in the league table based on a percentage of total points won out of total points contested.