The Sri Lanka cricket on Friday handed a one-year ban to the trio of Danushka Gunathilaka, Kusal Mendis, and Niroshan Dickwell for breaching the bio-secure bubble on the tour of the UK last month. The cricket board has also imposed a fine of 10 million Sri Lankan rupees on them.
Sri Lankan Cricketers Banned
Furthermore, the trio has been banned for six months from the domestic circuit. It was earlier reported that the trio will be handed over long suspensions and it has now being confirmed by Sri Lanka cricket.
During the England tour, all three Sri Lankan cricketers were caught on camera on the streets of Durham which was a bio-bubble breach. As a result, the trio was sent back home midway into the tour.
Earlier on Thursday, a disciplinary committee headed by a retired judge had recommended two-year bans for Mendis and Gunathilaka along with an 18-month sanction for Dickwella.
“The Executive Committee of SLC, at its meeting held today, has given due consideration to the recommendations of the panel of inquiry, and in further consideration of the impact to the individual players, and their contribution to the national team, have decided unanimously to impose the following measures on the said three players.
“A fine of Sri Lanka Rupees 10 Million for each player. A one-year ban from all forms of international cricket and a six months ban from domestic cricket.
“Upon completion of the said one-year ban, each player will be subjected to a further ban of one year from playing international cricket which will be suspended for a period of two years. Mandatory counseling under a doctor recommended by the board,” a Sri Lanka Cricket release said.
Incidentally, this is not the first time Gunathilaka has received a ban for misconduct. The 30-year-old all-rounder was suspended in 2018 for breaching code of conduct regulations and was also banned for 3 matches in 2017 for misconduct during the home series against India.