South Africa has withdrawn from their ODI leg of the Australia tour scheduled to play between January 12 to 17 next year.
South Africa Withdraws from Australia ODI Series
The ODI series was scheduled to play post the three-match Test series. Last month Cricket South Africa (CSA) requested Cricket Australia (CA) to reconsider the dates of the three matches originally set aside for January 12-17 due to a clash with their new franchise T20 league, but CA announced today they have been unable to find alternative dates to reschedule the series.
As a result of South Africa’s withdrawal, Australia’s Dettol T20I match against the West Indies on October 7 has been moved from Metricon Stadium to the Gabba, while the first match of the T20I series against England on October 9 will be played at Perth Stadium instead of the Gabba.
Australia women’s second Commonwealth Bank T20I against Pakistan at Manuka Oval scheduled for January 27 has also been bought forward a day and moved to Blundstone Arena to ensure Hobart hosts an Australian team this summer.
“It is disappointing that Cricket South Africa will be unable to contest the ODI series in January, Nick Hockley,” Cricket Australia’s CEO, said in a statement.
“That said, we are delighted to be hosting South Africa for the three-Test series which includes the Boxing Day and New Year’s Tests and with the comprehensive schedule of international cricket that will take place across Australia throughout the summer.”
“This will include the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup and a record six touring teams for the Men’s and Women’s international series as well as the twelfth season of the BBL and the eighth season of the WBBL. We can’t wait to see fans back at the cricket this summer.”
The rescheduled matches are:
- October 7: Dettol Men’s T20I v West Indies, The Gabba, Brisbane | previously Metricon Stadium
- October 9: Dettol Men’s T20I v England, Perth Stadium | previously The Gabba
- January 26: CommBank Women’s T20I v Pakistan, Blundstone Arena | previously Manuka Oval, January 27