Dinesh Karthik, the veteran Indian wicketkeeper, revealed that Rohit Sharma had scored his maiden half-century for the national team with his bat.
Rohit Used Dinesh Karthik Bat
“His first-ever international fifty was with my bat. I am very proud of that. Yeah, I was batting with it, I told Rohit, ‘What a s*** bat’ and he said, ‘What? You think this bat is not good enough? Give it to me,” Karthik was quoted as saying in a conversation with Gaurav Kapoor on the show Breakfast with Champions.
“So I gave it to him. That day (need to give him credit) he just walked in straight with the bat in South Africa during World Cup and he played amazing innings. No credit to my bat, obviously the batsman but still. I remember all those kinds of things and these kinds of things mean a lot to me,” he added.
Rohit’s knock turned out to be a game-changing one as India posted a competitive score of 153 on the board after being reduced to 61 for four in the 11th over. The target of 154 turned out to be too steep for the Proteas, who ended with 116 for nine in 20 overs.
Rohit turned out to be the Player of the Match for being the highest scorer from either side.
Dinesh Karthik International Debut details
|Test||India vs Australia at Mumbai – November 03 – 05, 2004|
|ODI||India vs England at Lord’s – September 05, 2004|
|T20I||South Africa vs India at Johannesburg – December 01, 2006|
Dinesh Karthik’s Records
- The first-ever Indian cricketer to win a T201 Man of the Match award (against South Africa in 2006).
- He has done batting from the opening position to No. 7.
- 8th player to miss most consecutive matches(83) for a team between appearances.
- 4th player to have a higher strike rate in the T20I innings(326.50).
- Dinesh Karthik leads the list for the most number of catches in IPL followed by MS Dhoni.