Mushfiqur Rahim Retirement: Former Bangladesh captain Mushfiqur Rahim announced his retirement from Twenty20 internationals on September 4, 2022, in order to focus on Test and ODI formats.
Mushfiqur Rahim Announced Retirement
Mushfiqur Rahim’s decision of quitting the T20I format came after Bangladesh’s exit from the ongoing Asia Cup 2022 where they lost both group matches against Afghanistan and Sri Lanka.
Rahim made his T20I debut on 28 November 2006 against Zimbabwe. He has played 100 T0I matches and scored 1495 runs with a career-best of 72*. Rahim has never scored a T20I century but bagged 6 half-centuries under his name.
“Today, I am announcing my retirement from T20 Internationals. I will proudly continue to represent Bangladesh in Test and ODI formats. I am hopeful that I can bring success for our nation in these two formats. I will continue to take part in Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) and other franchise tournaments,” Mushfiqur wrote on his official Facebook page.
Mushfiqur Rahim’s Unknown Facts
- Rahim is the highest individual scorer for Bangladesh in Test cricket.
- He is the first and only wicketkeeper-batsman in the history of Test cricket to score two double-hundreds.
- He is also the first and only Bangladeshi batsman to score three double-hundreds in Tests.
- Mushfiqur is the only Bangladeshi player to win 150 international matches.
- Rahim is a fan of the Spanish football team FC Barcelona.
- He is a fan of Argentinian player Messi.
- According to Jamie Siddons, the former coach of Bangladesh, Rahim’s batting is so versatile that he can bat anywhere in the top order, from one to six.
- Rahim was criticized for trying to hit his teammate, Nasum Ahmed, following an incident in the eliminator of the Bangabandhu T20 Cup where both of them were going for the same catch.
- Both of the fielders avoided a collision and the catch was taken by Rahim. READ: Nasum Ahmed threatened by Mushfiqur Rahim Twice
- Rahim, who was captain of Beximco Dhaka, was visibly annoyed with his teammate and threatened to throw a punch at his teammate.
- The video that captured the incident has gone viral on Twitter. Rahim has since apologized to his teammate
- The BCB fined Rahim 25% of his match fees and issued one demerit point for the incident.