Records Created on 1st Day of Test Against England: Indian cricket team re-creates a history in England by beating their own record of scoring most runs on the first day of the Test.
Records Created on 1st Day of Test Against England
During the India tour of England 2022, team India is scheduled to play a rescheduled test match on July 1. Right before the match, team India faces lots of hurdles by missing the services of KL Rahul and Rohit Sharma.
KL Rahul who was selected for the limited-overs series against South Africa has been ruled out of the series owing to groin injury and was set to miss the England series.
Apart from KL Rahul, Indian captain Rohit Sharma too missed the 5th test match after testing positive for COVID19 during the 4-day warm-up match against Leicestershire.
In the absence of two key players, BCCI named Jasprit Bumrah as the captain of the side. Winning the toss England choose to field first. While batting their first innings, Indian top-order players collapsed without scoring their best.
Shubman Gill and Pujara opened the innings for India but failed to withstand England’s aggressive bowling attack. James Anderson picked the first wicket for England by dismissing Gill for 17 runs and sent Pujara to the pavilion after scoring 13 runs.
India lost their opening duo for just 46 runs and soon Hanuma Vihari and Virat Kohli too departs when India scored 71. When team India seems to loose hope, Rishabh Pant and Jadeja made a formidable partnership by scoring 222 runs for the next wicket.
The wicketkeeper and all-rounder combination poses a great threat to the bowling nation. England bowlers struggled to break the partnership but failed to do so. Rishabh Pant who scored the most runs in building a partnership with Jadeja scored his 5th test century.
Pant’s century made him create numerous records which include:
- Test hundreds by India wicketkeepers outside Asia
- Rishabh Pant: 4
- All others WKs: 3 (Vijay Manjrekar, Ajay Ratra, W Saha)
- Two Test 100s in a calendar year by an Indian WK – Pant is the only one among the four to do so away from India
- Budhi Kunderan in 1964
- MS Dhoni in 2009
- W Saha in 2017
- Rishabh Pant in 2022 *
- Fastest Test 100s for India outside Asia
- 78 balls V Sehwag v WI Gros Islet 2006
- 88 balls M Azharuddin v Eng Lord’s 1990
- 89 balls R Pant v Eng Edgbaston 2022
Apart from his individual record, Pant helps team India to re-create a history after 1990. Pant’s impressive knock assist India to cross the 300-run mark in 64th over.
But Pant’s magical performance comes to end when Joe Root bowled 67th over. After hitting a six off the first delivery, Pant lost his wicket in the second delivery while scoring 146 runs.
Pant walks to the pavilion with a strike rate of 131.53 where he hits massive 20 boundaries and 4 sixes in his 146 runs. Pant and Jadeja scored a massive 222-run stand which led them to create a joint record for sixth-wicket partnership.
- 222 sixth-wicket partnership is the joint highest for India away from home equalling Sachin Tendulkar and Azharuddin in Cape Town in 1997.
With India’s middle-order performance team India created history by beating the 1990s India record.
- In 1990 India scored 324/4 at the Oval is remained the most runs scored by India on the first day of the Test in England. As a way of beating that, India scored 338 runs for 7 wickets loss on the first day of the Test in Edgbaston, Birmingham.
At the end of day 1, India scored 338 runs for 7 wickets loss where Jadeja and M Shami stand in with a score of 83 and 0 respectively.
India might not seek to declare the inning instead will score the maximum runs for 10 wickets as England was best in chasing the target which they did successfully in the 3-match test series against New Zealand.