Jofra Archer Undergoes Second Elbow Surgery: England pacer Jofra Archer is set to miss the upcoming West Indies tour after undergoing second elbow surgery.
Jofra Archer Undergoes Second Elbow Surgery
Earlier Jofra Archer missed India’s tour of England, the whole of Indian Premier League, and the T20 World Cup due to the nagging elbow injury. He is not part of the England squad which is currently in Australia for the Ashes 2021-22 tournament.
Jofra Archer undergoes 2nd surgery, ruled out of action until summer England pacer Jofra Archer underwent a second surgery to treat to his injured right elbow and will not return to competitive action until next summer, the ECB said on Wednesday.
The ECB, in a statement, confirmed that Archer underwent his second operation on December 11 in London. “A return to cricket will be determined in time, but Jofra will not be available for any of England’s remaining Winter series,” the ECB said.
The latest setback now casts doubts over his participation in IPL 2022. Rajasthan Royals, who announced the retention list for IPL 2022, did not include Archer.
Jofra Archer Injury Timeline
Archer’s elbow issues first surfaced at the start of 2020 when he pulled out of the New Year’s Test in Cape Town. The injury continued to hamper him during the tour of India earlier this year as he featured in only two out of the four Tests before flying home, eventually missing the IPL as well.
- January 3, 2020: Archer’s elbow injury aggravates, ruling him out of the second Test in South Africa.
- January 29, 2020: The elbow injury forces him to miss out on South Africa Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is).
- February 6, 2020: There was no respite on the elbow injury, as he was forced to pull out of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 for Rajasthan Royals (RR).
- July 8, 2020: He plays the opening Test against the Windies at home but missed the second after breaching bio-bubble measures.
- March 21, 2021: After seven months of action, he develops discomfort again during T20Is in India and is ruled out of One-Day Internationals (ODIs) against the side.
- March 29, 2021: He undergoes surgery to remove a glass from his finger that he sustained while cleaning a fish tank at his home in January 2021.
- April 11, 2021: Archer is cleared to return, but no timeframe is set.
- April 23, 2021: He is forced to pull out of IPL 2021 for RR again.
- May 5, 2021: He returns to county cricket action for Sussex.
- May 15, 2021: He develops a sore during a match against Kent.
- May 18, 2021: Archer is advised by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to undergo another right elbow surgery, ruling him out for ten weeks.
- May 27, 2021: Archer asserts that he might retire if this surgery does not fix things.
- August 24, 2021: Archer targets the Windies tour for a comeback.
- December 8, 2021: He informs Channel7 that his injury struggle is nearly over.
- December 11, 2021: He undergoes a second elbow operation.
- December 21, 2021: He is ruled out of the Windies tour, while doubts cast over him as an all-format player.