Table of Contents
Varun Chakravarthy – cricketer from Tamil Nadu was born on 29-08-1991 in Chennai. He made his List A debut for Tamil Nadu in the 2018–19 Vijay Hazare Trophy on 20 September 2018. He was the leading wicket-taker for Tamil Nadu in the 2018–19 Vijay Hazare Trophy, with twenty-two dismissals in nine matches.
He got noticed during the TNPL (Tamil Nadu Premiere League) 2018 after he choked the batsman for runs and at the same time also picked up wickets.
He drew a lot of attention at the IPL auction table in 2019 and was finally roped in by Kings XI Punjab for 8.4 crores which is thus far the highest signing amount for an uncapped Indian player.
Varun Chakravarthy Short Biography
|Full Name||Varun Chakravarthy|
|Nick Name||Sodukku Bowler|
|Date of Birth||August 29, 1991|
|Home Town||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Education||School – St. Patrick’s, Chennai|
|College – SRM University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Qualification – Bachelor Of Architecture|
|Family||Father – CV Vinod|
|Mother – Malini Chakravarthy|
|Sister – Vanditha Chakravarthy|
|Wife – Neha Khedekar|
|Batting Style||Right Handed Batsman|
|Bowling Style||Right arm leg break|
|Teams Played||Karaikudi Kaalai, Tamil Nadu, Siachem Madurai Panthers, Kings XI Punjab, Kolkata Knight Riders|
|First Class Debut||12 November 2018 in 2018–19 Ranji Trophy|
|List A Debut||20 September 2018 in Vijay Hazare Trophy|
|IPL Debut||KKR vs KXIP on 27 March 2019|
|International Debut||T20I Debut vs SL at R.Premadasa Stadium – Jul 25, 2021|
|Favorite Cricketer||Ravichandran Ashwin|
- At 13 years old, Varun Chakravarthy began playing cricket as a wicket-guardian batsman.
- At 17 years old, he quit cricket; as he didn’t see his future in it. In this way, he chose to turn into a draftsman.
- In 2015, Varun began playing cricket as a medium-pace bowler for the CromBest Cricket Club.
- He came into the spotlight in 2018 when he played for the Siechem Madurai Panthers in Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL), where he took nine wickets in 10 coordinates and conveyed 125 speck balls out of the 240 balls.
- In 2018, Varun Chakravarthy got chose to play for Tamil Nadu, and he made his List An introduction against Gujarat at Chennai in the 2018-19 Vijay Hazare Trophy.
- In the 2018-19 Vijay Hazare Trophy, he took 22 wickets in 9 matches at an economy rate of 4.23.
- He made his first-class debut for Tamil Nadu in the 2018–19 Ranji Trophy on 12 November 2018.
- In December 2018, Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) got him at an incredible cost of 8.4 crores for the ‘2019 Indian Premier League’ (IPL) auction.
- He was released by the Kings XI Punjab(now Punjab Kings) ahead of the 2020 IPL auction.
- In the 2020 IPL auction, he was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders ahead of the 2020 IPL.
- On 24 October 2020, he took his first five-wicket haul in the IPL, with figures of 5 wickets for 20 runs, against the Delhi Capitals in Abu Dhabi.
- In October 2020, he was named in India’s Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against Australia.
- On 9 November 2020, Chakravarthy was ruled out of the squad after suffering an injury.
- In February 2021, he was named in India’s T20I squad for their series against England, where he was again missed due to fitness concerns.
- Finally, he made his International debut against Sri Lanka T20 at R.Premadasa Stadium, Jul 25, 2021, under Shikhar Dhawan Captaincy.
- In September 2021, he is selected for the ICC T20I World Cup 2021 Squad, which is to be scheduled to happen in UAE.
Lesser Known Facts About Varun Chakravarthy
- He quit cricket at the age of 17 to become an architect.
- He did freelancing for 2 years before finally decided to start playing cricket again.
- Once, during a counterpart for CromBest Cricket Club, he had endured knee damage, from that point, he couldn’t play for a half year.
- He at that point made his rebound as a spinner and began playing for Jubilee Cricket Club in the fourth division.
- He is fondly called ‘Mystery Spinner’ as he has 7 variations in his bowling.
- According to him, he has seven bowling variations such as Offbreak, Legbreak, Googly, Carrom Ball, Slider, Flipper, and Topspinner.
- He started his career as a medium pacer.
- He has served as a net bowler for KKR and CSK in the past.
- He also made a cameo appearance in the 2014 Indian Tamil-language sports drama film Jeeva as a club cricketer.
Varun Chakravarthy Batting stats
Varun Chakravarthy Bowling Stats