Table of Contents
Before heading to the Asia Cup 2023 tournament, the defending champions Sri Lanka faced back-to-back massive blows right after their key players were sidelined from the tournament owing to various injuries.
Dasun Shanaka Opens on Missing Main Players for Asia Cup 2023
With the tournament scheduled to start on August 30, Sri Lanka announced their Asia Cup 2023 squad a day before without many key players. The co-host of the Asia Cup 2023 Sri Lanka will play their first game of the season against Bangladesh on August 31 at Pallekele International Cricket Stadium, Kandy.
- Wanindu Hasaranga who was recovering from a grade two strain in the thigh ruled out of the tournament.
- Dushmantha Chameera picked up a shoulder injury during the course of the recent Lanka Premier League and will not feature in the Asia Cup 2023.
- Dilshan Madushanka had torn an oblique muscle during a practice game and was ruled out of Asia Cup 2023.
- Lahiru Kumara suffered a side strain and will miss the Asia Cup 2023.
The Sri Lankan cricket team have won 6 trophies in the Asia Cup and stands next to the 7-time winner India. Ahead of the first match of the tournament, Sri Lanka captain Dasun Shanaka said they can’t have control over such crisis but are confident of others standing up for the absentees in the continental tournament.
“We can’t have control over injuries. You know the players who unfortunately missed out — Hasaranga, Chameera…they are big players, experienced players.
“But we have a young side and this will be a good experience for them and we are looking forward to the tournament,” said Shanaka here during the pre-match press meet.
Shanaka said they have enough quality players in the side to make an impression in the Asia Cup.
“Last time (in the 2022 Asia Cup) also we went in as underdogs and lost our first game against Afghanistan. But we still managed to finish with the trophy,” he said.
“There is no question about where we are sitting at the moment and about the team’s balance, so we are looking forward to the tournament.” Sri Lanka will be travelling to Pakistan after Thursday’s match for their fixture against Afghanistan in Lahore.
Four matches of the Asia Cup 2023 will be played in Pakistan while the remaining nine matches of the tournament will be played in Sri Lanka.
“We were in the same situation during last year’s (T20) World Cup. That’s how I think international cricket is played and we are used to it. It can be a worry but we are still managing it,” he said.
Shanaka said it is important for Sri Lanka to play competitive cricket ahead of the ICC ODI World Cup to be played in India from October 5 to November 19.
“We know the dominance of India and Pakistan in Asia. But Sri Lanka has a good history of playing well in World Cups and Asia Cup. So, it is important for Sri Lanka to play good, competitive cricket going into the World Cup,” he said.
Asia Cup 2023 Venue
All matches of the Asia Cup 2023 will be played across 4 different venues across Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
- Gaddafi Stadium – Lahore(3 Matches)
- Multan Cricket Stadium – Multan(1 Match)
- R. Premadasa Stadium – Colombo(6 Matches)
- Pallekele International Cricket Stadium – Kandy(3 Matches)
Interesting LINKS to check out on Asia Cup 2023
- Asia Cup 2023 Points Table With NRR, Team Standing
- Asia Cup 2023 Commentators Complete list with Nationality
- Most Runs in Asia Cup 2023 – Leading Run Scorer
- Most Wickets in Asia Cup 2023 – Leading Wicket taker
- Asia Cup 2023 Captains, Vice Captains, Coaches for All Teams
- Today Asia Cup Match Dream11 Prediction
When Will the Asia Cup 2023 begin?
The Asia Cup 2023 will begin on August 30 with the final match scheduled to play on September 17 at R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo.
Which Country Hosts Asia Cup 2023?
Asia Cup 2023 will be co-hosted by Pakistan and Sri Lanka and it will also be the first of its kind to be co-hosted by multiple countries.
Does Asia Cup 2023 have a reserve day?
YES, the Asia Cup 2023 final will alone have a reserve day which is September 18, 2023.
How many teams will play in the Asia Cup 2023?
A total of 6 teams will participate in Asia Cup 2023 which includes India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Nepal.