Table of Contents
IPL 2024 Groups: As of the previous season, the IPL 2024 season will be played in a home and away-format. A total of 74 matches will be played among the 10 participating teams during the IPL 2024 season. The tournament will be played in group stage and playoff format.
As per the IPL 2024 Schedule, the first match will be played between Chennai Super Kings and Royal Challengers Bangalore on March 22 in Chennai.
Ahead of the IPL 2024, BCCI hosted the IPL 2024 Auction in Dubai on December 19 while November 26 was set as the deadline for the teams to finalise their retention and released players list. Notably, this will be the first time an IPL auction is conducted overseas.
IPL 2024 Groups
All 10 participating teams will be divided into 5 teams of two groups where all teams will play 7 home and 7 away matches with split IPL 2024 groups. A total of 70 league matches including 18 double headers will be played during the event.
Following are the details of the IPL 2024 Groups:
IPL 2024 Teams
Following are the details of the IPL 2024 participating teams:
- Punjab Kings
- Sunrisers Hyderabad
- Gujarat Titans
- Delhi Capitals
- Lucknow Super Giants
- Rajasthan Royals
- Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Kolkata Knight Riders
- Chennai Super Kings
- Mumbai Indians
IPL 2024 Format
The format of the IPL 2024 edition will be the same as the previous year but there will be changes in the venues. Following are the details of the IPL 2024 Format:
- The ten teams are divided into two groups of five.
- A random draw was used to determine the groups and who plays whom across the groups once and twice.
- In the group stage, each team plays 14 games facing the other four teams in their group two times each (one home and one away game), four teams in the other group once, and the remaining team two times.
- IPL Points Table system: The team winning a match will be awarded 2 points. The losing team will not receive any points. In case of a draw or no result, both teams will be awarded 1 point.
- A four-game playoff stage following the Page playoff system is held after the group stage. Four games will be played in the playoffs:
- Qualifier 1: between the teams ranked first and second in the group stage.
- Eliminator: between the teams ranked third and fourth in the group stage.
- Qualifier 2: between the loser of Qualifier 1 and the winner of the Eliminator.
- Final: between the winners of Qualifiers 1 and 2.
IPL 2024 Rules
IPL 2024 Rules: Ahead of the IPL 2024 season, BCCI has made noticeable changes in their rule book including a hike in uncapped player’s salaries and allowing a couple of bouncers in an over.
- BCCI introduced a change in the salary of the Uncapped Indian players. As per the BCCI’s new plan, the uncapped Indians who play international cricket between IPLs will receive a hike in their IPL salary.
- Before the start of any Season, the League Fee payable to any uncapped player is less than Rs. 50 Lakhs; and
- Such a player is then capped or achieves 5 or 10 Caps at any time during the period from the end of one Season up to the start of the next Season.
- The League Fee payable to such Player for such next season and any subsequent season if such player’s contract is extended by the relevant franchise shall be Rs. 50 Lakhs for so long as such player has 1 Cap, Rs. 75 Lakhs for so long as such player has 5-9 Caps, and Rs. 1 crore if the player has 10 Caps or more; and
- If such player is subsequently traded then before such trade his League Fee shall be deemed to be determined under paragraph (c) above.
- It is clarified that to calculate the Salary Cap, if the player is traded, then any increase in a player’s League Fee will apply to the new franchise’s Salary Cap.
- However, if the player remains with the existing team, then such an increase will not affect the Franchisee’s Salary Cap and the Salary Cap will remain the same as it was before the increase in Player’s League Fee.
- For the first time in the IPL, bowlers can bowl two bounces in an over in IPL 2024.
- The IPL 2024 season will also retain the Impact Player Rule which was introduced in IPL 2023.
- Team captains can walk in with 2 different team sheets before handling their final playing 11 after the toss.
- Depending on the toss result, the teams can pick their best 11 after the toss. But till last season, the captains had to exchange the teams before the toss.
- For Example: If team A wants to bat first and then defend a total on a slow track in turning conditions and is forced to bowl first they can pick the playing 11 with an extra spinner in the starting 11 and then they can replace a specialist bowler with a batter in the second innings to help with the run-chase.
- BCCI introduced this rule in the 2023 edition to bring down the motto of “win toss, win match” in certain conditions.
- IPL 2024 will have two DRS for each inning.
- Players can take reviews for wides and no-balls in IPL
- Upon a catch dismissal, irrespective of whether the batsmen have crossed or not the incoming batsman will take the strike, except if it’s the last ball of the over
- If any team fails to find their playing XI due to COVID-19, the BCCI will attempt to reschedule the game later in the IPL 2024.
- If rescheduling won’t be possible then IPL Technical Team will see the matter.
- In Playoffs/Final: If Super Over or subsequent Super Overs can’t be completed due to some reason then the team that has finished higher in the league will be declared as the winner.
- Over-rate penalty of only four fielders outside the 30-yard circle for every over not completed in the allocated time.
- Unfair movement of the wicketkeeper will result in a dead ball and 5 penalty runs.
- Unfair movement by a fielder will result in a dead ball and 5 penalty runs