Biography of Rishabh Pant
Rishabh Pant is an Indian cricket player who was born on 4 October 1997 Roorkee Uttarakhand. He plays for the India national cricket team and Delhi. Rishab pant comes in focus after selecting in team India Under-19 team.
In the same year 2016, he played for Delhi Daredevils in IPL. He made his Twenty20 International (T20I) debut for India in January 2017 and his Test debut in August 2018.
Rishabh Pant Journey to Cricket
Born and brought up in Roorkee, Uttarakhand, Rishabh was fascinated with cricket right from childhood. Due to a lack of infrastructural opportunities, Rishabh had to move from one city to another. When he was 12 years old, his parents decided to move to Delhi. Here, Rishabh got an opportunity to train under Tarak Sinha.
Sinha had previously trained Indian cricketer Shikhar Dhawan. Sinha’s guidance helped Rishabh to develop a solid base. Later, he moved to Rajasthan to participate at the district-level tournaments. Rishabh was treated as an outsider there and came back to Delhi to finish his schooling.
Rishabh Pant Career
Pant initially represented Rajasthan at U-14 and U-16 levels. However, at Rajasthan, Pant faced discrimination for supposedly being an outsider and was thrown out of an academy. Pant decided to move from Rajasthan to Delhi to save his career.
Pant made his first-class debut in Ranji Trophy debut at the age of 18 in 2015. Pant broke several records by scoring a triple-hundred against Maharashtra. In the 2016-17 season, Pant scored a blistering 48-ball hundred against Jharkhand. His exploits and achievements in Ranji Trophy earned him a call-up to India’s T20 squad for England’s tour of India in 2017.
In February 2018, he was named in India’s T20I squad for the 2018 Nidahas Trophy.
Indian Premier League – IPL
Rishabh was bought by the Delhi Daredevils for a staggering amount of Rs. 1.9 crore in 2016. He proved to be absolutely worth the money by scoring 198 runs in 10 matches and won the Man of the Match award.
Although his inaugural season wasn’t as fruitful as Pant would have expected it to be, his second season, 2017 IPL, turned out to be a miraculous one for the Delhi boy. In the 2017 edition of the league, Rishabh scored a blazing 97 runs from just 43 balls to guide Delhi Daredevils to victory against the Gujarat Lions.
Rishabh continued his stellar run with a stunning 128 not out from 63 balls in the 2018 edition of the league. It earned him the distinction of achieving the highest individual score by an Indian cricketer in a Twenty20 match.
It isn’t surprising then that he was awarded the ‘Emerging Player of the Season’ in 2018. He was also the second-highest run-scorer in the edition of the league.
Rishabh Pant has been named as the Delhi Capitals skipper for the IPL 2021 season after the regular skipper Shreyas Iyer ruled out of the game owing to a shoulder injury.
Rishabh Pant International Career
vs England at Nottingham(18 August 2018)
vs England at Bengaluru (1 February 2017)
Vs West Indies on 21 October 2018.
- Pant was named in India’s Test squad for the series against England in August 2018.
- He made his Test debut against England cricket team on 18 August 2018. Pant became the first batsman for India to begin his career in Test cricket with a six.
- On 11 September 2018, Pant scored his maiden Test century, against England. He became the second-youngest wicket-keeper and the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England.
- In December 2018, during the first Test against Australia, Pant took eleven catches, the most by a wicket-keeper for India in a Test match.
- In January 2019, during the fourth Test against Australia, Pant became the first wicket-keeper for India to score a century in a Test match in Australia.
- In September 2019, during the second Test against the West Indies, Pant became the fastest wicket-keeper for India to affect fifty dismissals in Test cricket.
- Pant went on to score his maiden Test century in the same tournament. Pant thus became the second-youngest wicket-keeper and the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a Test century in England.
- Rishabh Pant brought up his third Test century, the first in India, on Day 2 of the fourth Test against England(2021) in Ahmedabad.
- In January 2017, Pant was named in India’s Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against England.
- Pant made his debut for India in Twenty20 Internationals against England 2017, at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore on 1 February 2017.
- Pant was the youngest player for India to debut in a T20I match at the age of 19 years 120 days before Washington Sundar who played at the age of 18 years 80 days made his debut in 2017.
- After his test debut against England, Pant was selected in India’s ODI squad for their series against the West Indies.
- He made his ODI debut for India against the West Indies on 21 October 2018.
- Pant still awaits to make his maiden ODI century.
Did Rishabh Pant Played World Cup?
In June 2019, Pant was called up to India’s squad at the 2019 Cricket World Cup as cover for Shikhar Dhawan, who suffered a hairline fracture on his left thumb during India’s game against Australia.
On 19 June 2019, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed that Dhawan had been ruled out for the rest of the tournament, with Pant confirmed as his replacement. Following the World Cup, the International Cricket Council (ICC) named Pant as the rising star of the squad.
Rishabh Pant Family
Rishabh Pant was born on 4 October 1997 at Haridwar, Uttarakhand, to Rajendra Pant and Saroj Pant. He has a sister named Sakshi Pant. In 2017, Pant’s father passed away due to a cardiac arrest.
Pant showed extreme dedication and determination and merely two days after cremating his father, Pant scored 57 runs for Delhi Daredevils in an IPL match and dedicated it as a tribute to his late father.
Interesting Facts on Rishabh Pant
- Rishabh Pant is a big fan of Adam Gilchrist. In fact, he decided to become a wicketkeeper-batsman because of him.
- He is the third-youngest Indian to score a triple century in first-class cricket scoring 308 off 326 balls against Maharashtra in the 2016 Ranji Trophy tournament.
- He holds the distinction of being the second wicket-keeper to score a triple century in the Ranji Trophy.
- Another record he holds is that of scoring the fastest century in Ranji Trophy 2016-17. It just took him 48 balls!
- He is the first Indian cricketer to smash a six on the first ball of his Test cricket debut.
- Rahul Dravid played a huge role in shaping Rishabh’s career when he was in India A team.
- Rishabh prefers to relax by listening to music, going for treks, or for swimming.
- His favourite actress is Shraddha Kapoor and the actors are Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan.
- Rishabh is a huge football fan and supports Manchester United FC.
- Rishabh Pant owns a Mercedes-Benz GLC.
- He is known as a prankster in the team.
- He also gets bored with his look easily and likes to experiment with hair colours or explore better wardrobe choices.
- In January 2021, during the fourth Test against Australia, Pant became the fastest wicket-keeper for India to reach 1,000 runs in Test cricket.
- Second youngest player for India to debut in a T20I match.
- First batsman for India to begin his career in Test cricket with a six.
- Pant receives ICC’s inaugural Player of the Month award.
Awards and Accolades
- ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year Award – 2018.
- ICC Rising Star of the squad – ICC World Cup 2019.
Rishabh Pant Batting Stats
Rishabh Pants Bowling stats
Also read: Indian Fast Bowler Jasprit Bumrah Biography