BBL 2021-22 Postponed: Tonight’s KFC BBL clash between the Perth Scorchers and Melbourne Stars has been postponed less than three hours before the first ball due to a positive COVID case.
BBL 2021-22 Postponed
A Stars support staff member returned a positive test on Thursday afternoon, which resulted in exposure to many of the team’s playing group.
Cricket Australia said all Stars players and staff who had been in contact with the positive case undertook PCR tests as soon as possible but the results had not been received within sufficient time for the match to proceed.
CA said the league would advise of a new date for the match as soon as possible.
“While regrettable, the decision to postpone tonight’s match was the only option available given the exposures within the Stars cohort,” Alistair Dobson, Cricket Australia’s General Manager of Big Bash Leagues, said.
“The league has a number of biosecurity protocols in place to keep our participants safe and the competition moving forward.
“These protocols are regularly reviewed in response to the risks in each state. Safety remains our number one priority and we will work with the Stars to get their side back on the field as soon as possible.”
The Stars host Perth again on Sunday, before the big Melbourne derby the following day at the MCG which is expected to attract 40,000 fans.
Getting those matches on would be key for Cricket Australia, while still managing the health of players.
The Stars-Scorchers match was originally meant to be played in Perth but was shifted to Marvel Stadium earlier this month due to the Western Australia border closure.
Cricket Australia had previously avoided the same issues faced by both the A-League and the NBL. This came despite players still using commercial airlines and not being in a hard bubble while still operating under some protocols. A new date for Thursday’s match is expected to be confirmed within days.