Table of Contents
Shreyas Iyer Biography: Shreyas Iyer was born on 6 December 1994 in Chembur, Mumbai. Shreyas Iyer gets under the radar during the 2015–16 Ranji Trophy, where Iyer scored 1,321 runs during the tournament including four centuries and seven fifties at an average of 73.39.
Shreyas Iyer becomes the top scorer of the Ranji season and the second player to score 1,300 runs in a single Ranji Trophy competition. Shreyas Iyer played for the India Under-19 cricket team at the 2014 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
During a 3-match bilateral series against Sri Lanka in 2022, Shreyas Iyer scored 204 runs and overtook Virat Kohli’s record to become the player to score the most runs for India in a three-match T20I bilateral series.
Shreyas Iyer Biography – Overview
|Full Name||Shreyas Santosh Iyer|
|Date of Birth||6 December 1994|
|Birth Place||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
Don Bosco High School, Matunga
Ramniranjan Anandilal Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai
Father– Santosh Iyer (Businessman)
|Mother– Rohini Iyer|
|Batting Style||Right-hand bat|
Right arm offbreak, Legbreak googly
India, India U19, West Zone, Mumbai, Delhi Capitals, India A, Indian Board Presidents XI, India B, Mumbai Cricket Association XI, India Blue, India Green, Board Presidents XI, Rest of India, NaMo Bandra Blasters
|Test – vs New Zealand at Green Park, Nov 25, 2021|
|ODI – vs Sri Lanka at Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium, Dec 10, 2017|
|T20 – vs New Zealand at Arun Jaitley Stadium, Nov 01, 2017|
|IPL – vs Chennai Super Kings at MA Chidambaram Stadium, Apr 09, 2015|
|Favourite Cricketer||AB de Villiers|
Shreyas Iyer Early Life
- Shreyas Iyer was born on 6 December 1994 in Chembur, Mumbai to Santosh Iyer, who has his roots in Kerala, and Rohini Iyer, a Mangalorean Tuluva.
- In an interview with The Hindu, Iyer mentioned that his ancestors are from Thrissur, Kerala.
- He was educated at Don Bosco High School, Matunga and at Ramniranjan Anandilal Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
- At the age of 18, Iyer was spotted by coach Pravin Amre at the Shivaji Park Gymkhana. Amre trained him in his early cricketing days.
- Iyer’s teammates at the age-group levels used to compare him to Virender Sehwag.
- During his graduation from Podar College in Mumbai, Iyer helped his college team to lift some trophies.
Shreyas Iyer Domestic Career
- In 2014, Iyer represented Trent Bridge Cricket Team.
- During a trip to the UK, he played three matches scoring 297 runs at an average of 99 with the highest score of 171, a new team record.
- He made his List A debut for Mumbai in the 2014-2015 Vijay Hazare Trophy where he scored 273 runs at an average of 54.60.
- The same year, he made his first-class cricket debut in the 2014-2015 Ranji Trophy where he scored 809 runs at an average of 50.56.
- He scored a total of 809 runs in his debut Ranji season at an average of 50.56 including two centuries and six fifties. He was the 7th highest scorer of the 2014–15 Ranji Trophy.
- In the 2015–16 Ranji Trophy, Iyer scored 1,321 runs during the tournament including four centuries and seven fifties at an average of 73.39, becoming the top scorer of the Ranji season and second player to score 1,300 runs in a single Ranji Trophy competition.
- In the 2016–17 Ranji Trophy, Iyer scored 725 runs including two centuries and two fifties at an average of 42.64.
- He scored 202 not out off 210 balls, against the visiting Australia team in a 3-Day Practice match in Mumbai, his highest first-class score.
- In September 2018, Iyer was named as the vice-captain of Mumbai for the 2018–19 Vijay Hazare Trophy tournament.
- He was the leading run-scorer for Mumbai in the tournament, with 373 runs in seven matches.
- In October 2018, Iyer was named as the captain of India B’s squad for the 2018–19 Deodhar Trophy.
- He was also the leading run-scorer in the Deodhar Trophy, with 199 runs in three matches.
- In February 2019, in the opening round of the 2018–19 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
- tournament, Iyer made the highest total by an Indian batsman in a T20 match, when he scored 147 runs.
- In March 2021, Iyer was signed by Lancashire for their 2021 season of the Royal London One-Day Cup.
Shreyas Iyer International Career
- In October 2017, Iyer was named in India’s Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for their series against New Zealand.
- He made his T20I debut for India against New Zealand on 1 November 2017, but he did not bat.
- On 24 January 2020, in the first T20I against New Zealand, Iyer scored an unbeaten 58 off 29 balls and was declared the Man of the Match.
- On 26 January 2020, in the second T20I against New Zealand, he scored 44 off 33 balls.
- During the Sri Lanka tour of India 2022, Shreyas Iyer scored 204 runs and become the player to score the most runs for India in a three-match T20I bilateral series.
- Earlier Virat Kohli had scored 199 runs against Australia in 2016.
- During the series, Iyer also became only the 2nd batter with three consecutive unbeaten 50-plus scores in a T20I series. Australian opener David Warner achieved the feat against Sri Lanka in 2019.
- Iyer’s 3 consecutive half-centuries of the series made him to join the elite list of players to score 3 consecutive half-centuries in the shortest format. Earlier this feat was achieved by Virat Kohli(2012, 2014, 2016) Rohit Sharma(2018), and KL Rahul(2020, 2021).
- In November 2017, Iyer was named in India’s One Day International (ODI) squad for their series against Sri Lanka.
- He made his ODI debut for India against Sri Lanka on 10 December 2017. He scored 88 from 70 balls in the 2nd ODI against Sri Lanka at Mohali.
- On 18 December 2019, in the second ODI against the West Indies, Iyer scored 31 runs in one over, the most scored by a batsman for India in a single over in ODIs.
- On 5 February 2020, in the first ODI against New Zealand, Iyer scored 103 off 107 balls, his maiden century in ODI cricket.
- In March 2017, Iyer was added to India’s Test squad as cover for Virat Kohli, ahead of the fourth Test against Australia. He came on as a substitute fielder in the fourth test and ran out Steve O’Keefe for 8.
- In November 2021, he was named in India’s Test squad for their series against New Zealand. He made his Test debut on 25 November 2021, for India against New Zealand.
- On 25 November 2021 Iyer got his Test cap from the former Indian cricketer Sunil Gavaskar and scored a maiden century playing against the New Zealand team. He became the 16th Indian player to score a century in the debut test match.
ICC Men’s T20I World Cup 2021
- In September 2021, Iyer was named as one of three reserve players in India’s squad for the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.
ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2023
Shreyas Iyer made his ODI World Cup debut on 2023 edition, and played an crucial role in the squad. Despite having a rough start in the ICC event, he was able to score 500+ runs during the semi finals match.
- He was dismissed with a duck during the match against Australia at Chennai Stadium, but India was able to pull out victory with the efforts of Virat Kohli and KL Rahul.
- He scored 25* runs during the match against Afghanistan and helped the side for a quick victory.
- He was impressive during the match against Pakistan where he made his first fifty in maiden World Cup and helped the side for quick victory in low score match.
- During the match against Bangladesh, Iyer scored 19 runs where India had victory by 7 wickets at Pune Stadium.
- India had victory in their fifth World Cup match where they beat New Zealand by four wickets. Shreyas Iyer scored 33 runs helping the side to win the match in close call encounter.
- India defeated England on the 29th ODI World Cup match with 100 runs difference where Iyer was sent out with four runs.
- He had a stunning knock of 82 runs against Sri Lanka at Wankhede Stadium where India set up a huge target of 357 runs. Indian bowlers are impressive as they folded Sri Lanka for 55 runs in the 20th over.
- Shreyas iyer scored 77 runs on the match against South Africa at Eden Gardens where the men in blues defeated the latter with 243 runs.
- Shreyas scored his first century in World Cup during the match against Netherlands and helped the side with 128 runs to set up a huge target of 410 against Netherlands.
- During the semifinals match against New Zealand, Iyer scored 105 runs to set up a target of 397 runs.
Shreyas Iyer IPL Career
- In February 2015, Iyer was signed in the 2015 IPL players auction by the Delhi Daredevils for 2.6 crores (approximately $430,000).
- Thus Iyer became the highest-earning uncapped player in the tournament.
- He scored 439 runs in 14 matches, with a 33.76 average and a strike rate of 128.36, making Iyer the 9th most consistent player and Emerging Player of 2015 IPL.
- Iyer was retained by Delhi Daredevils in the 2018 IPL Auction.
- On 25 April 2018, he was announced as the new captain of Delhi Daredevils replacing Gautam Gambhir.
- On 27 April 2018, he became the youngest captain to lead the Delhi Daredevils team in the IPL history at the age of 23 years and 142 days during the match against Kolkata Knight Riders and was also the fourth overall youngest to captain any IPL side.
- On his IPL captaincy debut, Shreyas Iyer smashed an unbeaten match-winning knock of 93 off 40 deliveries with 10 sixes, which was his third successive IPL fifty of the season to power DD to a heavy total of 219/5 in the first innings of the match before earning him the man of the match award.
- Under his captaincy, Delhi Daredevils managed to defeat KKR by 55 runs to secure only their second win of the tournament.
- Iyer was retained by the Delhi Capitals in the IPL 2019 Season which he led the team into the playoffs for the first time after seven years.
- In the 2020 season, he continued as the captain for Delhi Capitals and he also led them to their maiden IPL final against the Mumbai Indians.
- Iyer scored an unbeaten 65 off 50 balls in a losing effort as Mumbai Indians won the final.
- He missed the half-season of IPL 2021 due to an injury in his Left Shoulder while playing for India in the first match of an ODI series against England in the same year.
- He made his comeback after a Span of 6 months for Delhi Capitals.
- In the IPL 2022 Mega Auction, Iyer was bought by the Kolkata Knight Riders for INR 12.25 crores.
- Shreyas Iyer was named as the KKR’s captain ahead of the tournament start.
Shreyas Iyer Interesting Facts
Shreyas Iyer Turns Magician
The official Twitter handle of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) posted a video of “in-house magician” Shreyas Iyer wowing fans with a card trick.
Shreyas Iyer Dancing with Dhanashree
Shreyas Iyer shared a video of him dancing alongside his teammate and senior Yuzvendra Chahal’s wife. The video has gone viral and is getting a lot appreciation from the fans.
Iyer’s dance moves are so good that for once he looks like overshadowing Dhanashree Verma, who is a choreographer by profession.
View this post on Instagram
Shreyas Iyer Records
- Shreyas Iyer was the top run-scorer of the 2015-16 Ranji season where he amassed a whopping 1321 runs at an incredible average of 73.38
- Shreyas Iyer scored the most runs in a single over for India in ODI- 31 runs against WI on 18 December 2019
- Shreyas Iyer become the youngest Captain of the IPL team – Delhi Capitals(now Delhi Capitals)
- Shreyas Iyer was the third Indian to hit back to back ODI World Cup centuries.
Shreyas Iyer Awards
- Shreyas Iyer won the IPL 2015 Emerging Player Award
Shreyas Iyer Batting Stats
Shreyas Iyer Bowling Stats