Indian former skipper Rahul Dravid holds a number of unique records under his name. The Test specialist Rahul Dravid was nicknamed as “The Wall” during his carrier.
Who named Rahul Dravid as “The Wall”?. He once revealed that this nickname of his came from a newspaper headline after one of his “long, typically maybe boring innings”.
Times of Sports(TOS) has listed the unbeaten list of records held by Rahul Dravid during his carrier.
Rahul Dravid list of Records
Fastest fifty by an Indian wicketkeeper
Rahul Dravid smashed an unbeaten 50 off 22 balls remains as the quickest fifty by a wicketkeeper for India in ODI cricket. The next fastest fifty by an Indian is off 26 balls by MS Dhoni which came against England in Cardiff during India’s horror 2011 tour.
Since this half-century by Dravid, only one Indian managed to score a fifty inside 25 deliveries in the 50-over format – Yuvraj Singh in 2004 against Bangladesh. He also holds the record of the fastest fifty in International cricket by an Indian wicketkeeper.
Watch Dravid’s aggressive 22 balls 50
Most number of catches by a fielder in Test cricket
Rahul Dravid took a total of 210 catches as a fielder in Test cricket – the most by any fielder in the world. Dravid happens to be the best slip fielder in the entire history of Test cricket.
With 210 catches to his name, Dravid has the most number of catches in Tests as a fielder. Pending the fact that no active player is close to this feat, the record will take a very long time to break if ever it gets broken in the entire lifetime of cricket.
Most numbers of minutes spent at the crease by a batsman in Test cricket
Rahul Dravid holds the record for most time spent at the crease by a Test batsman, recording 735 hours and 52 minutes (44,152 minutes) on the pitch.
Rahul Dravid 4 consecutive Test hundreds
Rahul Dravid is the only Indian cricketer to score a hundred in 4 consecutive innings. He achieved this feat in 2002.
115 vs ENG at Nottingham
148 vs ENG at Leeds
217 vs ENG at The Oval
100* vs WI at Mumbai
Most number of deliveries faced by a batsman in Test cricket
Rahul Dravid faced a total of 31,258 balls in his Test career – the most balls faced by any batsman in the world and he is the only batsman to face more than 30,000 balls in Test cricket till date.
Oldest player for India to debut in T20Is
Dravid was 38 years and 232 days old on the day of his lone T20I match which makes him the oldest player to feature in a T20I for India. He was also the then oldest T20I debutant from the Test-playing countries.
The only player ahead of Dravid in the list is Rafatullah Mohmand of Pakistan. He was past 39 while making his debut in 2015 against England Rafatullah did play two more T20Is after making his debut in the format.
Watch Rahul Dravid maiden T20I match
Most number of hundred-run partnerships
Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar scored 6920 runs as a pair with 20 hundred plus runs stand in Test cricket – the most partnership runs and hundred plus runs stands by any pair in the world.
Dravid also holds the record of having been involved in the most number of hundred runs partnerships in Test cricket. He was involved in a total of 88 hundred runs partnerships in his 164 Tests career.
Player to score 10000+ runs in ODI and Test
Rahul Dravid (13288 Test and 10889 ODI runs) is one of the seven batsmen who have scored 10,000 or more runs in both Tests and ODIs. Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Brian Lara, Jacques Kallis, Kumar Sangakkara, and Mahela Jayawardena too have achieved this feat.
He is the only batsman at the moment to have scored more than 10,000 runs at No. 3.
Did Rahul Dravid face 100 balls to score 1 run?
No, Rahul Dravid did not faces 100 balls to make his 1st run. Moreover, During the 2008 Sydney Test between Australia and India, Dravid took 40 deliveries to score his first run. This was the same match in which the infamous Monkeygate incident occurred.
During the last Test match against England in 2007, he scored 12 runs from 96 balls in the second innings forcing a draw after England scored 345 runs in reply to India’s mammoth 664 runs in the first innings.
Watch Dravid waves his bat after scoring 1 run after facing 40 balls
Lesser-Known Records of Rahul Dravid
- Rahul Dravid was the first Indian captain to win a Test match on South African soil. He achieved this feat in 2006’s Johannesburg Test.
- In 2007, Rahul Dravid became only the third Indian captain to win a Test series in England. Ajit Wadekar (1971) and Kapil Dev (1986) are the other two Indian captains.
- With 461 runs Rahul Dravid was the leading run-scorer in ICC Cricket World Cup 1999 which was played in England.
- On average, he played 123 balls per dismissal, with only Kallis higher at 125 balls for players who have played min 10,000 balls.
- Rahul Dravid has scored second-most runs and hundreds for India in Test cricket.
- Two times he scored a century in each inning of a Test. In fact, he is one of only three Indians to achieve this feat—Sunil Gavaskar and Vijay Hazare are the others.
- India won 15 Tests abroad during Dravid’s career (excluding matches in Bangladesh and Zimbabwe). In those games he scored 1,577 runs at 65.70—both aggregate and average is higher than Tendulkar’s.
- In all, eight of his 11 Man-of-the-Match awards came in overseas Tests, and five in overseas wins, including unforgettable performances at Headingley (2002), Adelaide (2003), Rawalpindi (2004), and Kingston (2006).
Rahul Dravid Current role in Indian cricket
He is the Director of Cricket Operations at National Cricket Academy, Bengaluru, India. He also monitors the progress of India A and India’s under-19 cricket teams. Before this he was Head Coach for the India Under-19 and India A teams from 2016 to 2019.
Under his coaching, the under-19 team was runners up at the 2016 u-19 Cricket World Cup and were winners at the 2018 u-19 Cricket World Cup. In 2019, BCCI appointed Dravid as Head of NCA.