Australia’s October Twenty20 series against the West Indies was canceled Tuesday, as the COVID-19 pandemic keeps on influencing the worldwide brandishing schedule.
It follows the postpone of the T20 World Cup, planned for October-November in Australia, and the current month’s one-day international series against Zimbabwe.
Cricket Australia said the three-match West Indies series had been proposed as a warm-up to the T20 World Cup, yet could no longer fill that need.
“In light of this development… it has been agreed to postpone the matches,” CA said in a statement.
The series will occur ahead of the rescheduled T20 World Cup, on dates yet to be decided in either 2021 or 2022.
Australia is currently struggling with the second wave of coronavirus infections and its international borders remain closed, with arrivals required to undergo a 14-day quarantine.
Despite the logistical difficulties, Cricket Australia insists a money-spinning four-Test series against India in December-January will proceed.
They have been less vocal about the fate of the first-ever Test match between Australia and Afghanistan, which is due to be held in Perth in late November.
Australian Women Cricketers Slams India’s Decision:
Some of Australia’s top women’s cricketers blasted a decision by India to schedule its T20 Challenge during the Big Bash League as a “huge shame” and “sad for the game”.
Indian cricket officials on Sunday said the women’s T20 match will take place in the United Arab Emirates, comprising three teams with four matches during the playoff week of the cash-rich and globally popular men’s Indian Premier League (IPL).
That would see it clash with the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL), widely considered the top women’s Twenty20 tournament, which is due to be held between October 17 and November 29.
It would effectively mean Indian players will not be available for the WBBL while overseas stars face having to pick between the competitions.