Ravichandran Ashwin is a famous Indian international cricketer and an all-rounder from Team India. Born in Chennai on September 17 in 1986, Ashwin made his International debut in 2010.
Ashwin started his career as a medium-fast bowler and a batsman, even Ashwin has played for India in U-17 cricket as a batsman. But due to a hip injury, he had to change his decision, after which he tried his hand in off-spin bowling and the result is in front of everyone. Ashwin is the number one bowler in the world today.
R Ashwin plays a key role in India’s successful path to the World Test Champions finals.
Ravichandran Ashwin – Biography
|Full Name||Ravichandran Ashwin|
|Date of Birth||September 17, 1986|
|Birth Place||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Education||School – Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan and St. Bede’s|
|College – Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Qualification – B. Tech. (Information Technology)|
|Family||Father – Ravichandran|
|Mother – Chitra|
|Wife – Prithi Narayanan (Ashwin’s childhood friend)|
|Children – Aadhya Ashwin, Akhira Ashwin|
|Batting Style||Right-hand batsman|
|Bowling Style||RIght-arm off-break|
|Teams Played||India, Tamil Nadu, Chennai Super Kings, Delhi Capitals, Kings XI Punjab, Rising Pune Supergiants, Worcestershire, Nottinghamshire, Dindigul Dragons.|
|First Class Debut||Haryana vs Tamil Nadu at Chennai – December 09 – 12, 2006|
|List A Debut||Tamil Nadu vs Andhra at Secunderabad – February 10, 2007|
|T-20 Debut||Andhra vs Tamil Nadu at Visakhapatnam – April 03, 2007|
|IPL Debut||CSK vs MI at Newlands, Cape Town, on April 18, 2009|
|International Debut||ODI Debut – India vs Sri Lanka at Harare – June 05, 2010|
|T20I Debut – Zimbabwe vs India at Harare – June 12, 2010|
|Test Debut – West Indies vs India at Delhi – November 06 – 09, 2011|
(as of 2020)
|Monthly – 50 Lakhs|
|Yearly – 6 to 7 Crores|
|IPL – 7.6 Crores: Total IPL Salary – 72.4 Crores|
(as of 2020)
|$ 15 Million|
|INR Value – 110 Crores|
|Favourite Cricketers||Batsman – Sachin Tendulkar, Clive Lloyd, Vivian Richards|
|Bowler – Shane Warne|
|All-Rounder – Kapil Dev|
Ravichandran Ashwin Career
- Ashwin used to play junior-level cricket as an opening batsman but later turned out to be a bowler.
- He played for Tamil Nadu in 2006 and was selected as a captain for that team in the next year.
- He came into the limelight when he was picked by Chennai Super Kings in 2010.
- His excellent economy rate and his performance in this limited over game brought him to the audience’s notice.
- His remarkable performance in the 2010 Indian Premier League (IPL 3), after which he was selected in the Indian squad that toured Zimbabwe in May–June 2010.
- Ashwin made his debut in ODI cricket in 2010 against Sri Lanka.
- After a week he made his T20 international debut at Harare against Zimbabwe.
- He made his test cricket debut at Delhi and got his cap from Sachin Tendulkar. He also received the man of the match in the same match.
- He was highly successful in Australia’s 2013 Test tour to India.
- He played in the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy and in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy as well.
- With the emergence of Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav, he was dropped from the ODI side. He though is the first choice spinner for India in Tests.
- Ashwin set to play for Delhi Capitals in IPL 2021 after DC retained him ahead of IPL 2021 Auction.
R Ashwin Records
- He is the fourth-highest wicket-taker in the longest format for India.
- The allrounder has also slammed 5 centuries and 11 half-centuries in 78 Test matches making him the most valuable player in the India setup.
- He has a record 30 five-wicket and seven 10-wicket hauls.
- Fastest to reach 250 test wickets.
- R Ashwin has picked 150 wickets in 111 matches but he is no longer part of the limited-overs setup for India.
- He last played in the 50-over format in June 2017.
- The 34-year-old has played 46 T20Is for India.
- First Indian to take 50 T20I wickets.
- Highest wicket-taker in Twenty20 International cricket for India with 52 wickets.
- R Ashwin features in the top 10 list of wicket-takers in IPL.
- He has taken 138 wickets in 154 matches.
- Ashwin holds the records for being the fastest Indian to 50, 100, and 150 Test wickets.
- Joint record (with Ian Botham and Jack Gregory) of fastest to take 50 wickets and score 500 runs (11th Tests).
- In 2016, he became the 2nd fastest bowler to take 200 Test wickets (37th match), after Australian spin bowler Clarrie Grimmett who achieved it in his 36th match.
- In 2017, he became the fastest bowler to take 300 Test wickets (54th match), breaking Australian fast bowler Dennis Lillee’s record (56th match).
- The 5th Indian bowler to take 300 wickets in Test cricket, after Anil Kumble (619), Kapil Dev (434), Harbhajan Singh (417), and Zaheer Khan (311).
- The 3rd Indian to receive the ICC Cricketer of the Year award, after Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar.
- Most Man-of-the-Series Award (6)
- Ashwin is the third Indian cricketer to be awarded the Man of the Match (MoM) on debut.
- Most number of wickets by a bowler in a home season (79).
- First Indian cricketer to score a century and take five wickets in the same Test match on two separate instances.
- Ashwin registered the second-best bowling on debut by an Indian bowler with 9/128.
Lesser known facts about Ravichandran Ashwin
- His actual name is only ‘Ashwin’ and ‘Ravichandran’ is his father’s name.
- His father Ravichandran played cricket at club level as a fast bowler
- The subject that he used to hate the most was Maths.
- His wife, Prithi studied with him during high schooling.
- He started playing cricket as an opening batsman, but at the age of 14, he injured his pelvic area that caused a ligament tear in the hip bones, after which he dropped the idea of becoming a batsman.
- When Ashwin was a Class 9 student, he had to stay away from cricket for 1 year due to his neurological infection, he could not even go to school for 2 months.
- Ravichandran, who worked for Southern Railways, played club cricket for Egmore Excelsiors for over a decade.
- Initially, he started as a fast bowler, but his mother felt that it’s not suiting him, so she suggested him to do spin bowling, which proved to be the right call.
- His aspirations to become a genuine spinner skyrocketed when he went to the National Cricket Academy, captained his team, and took a 7-wicket haul.
- He was the one making the T20I cricket debut with Naman Ojha and Virat Kohli and ODI cricket debut with Pankaj Singh and Ojha, and his Test cricket debut with Indian fast bowler Umesh Yadav.
- He took atleast one wicket in his debut match across all formats (T20I, ODI, Test).
- He was bestowed with the Arjuna Award by the Government of India Arjuna award — India’s highest sporting honor – in 2014.
- He received both the title of the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year and ICC Cricketer of the Year for 2016.
- On 25 March 2019, playing for Kings XI Punjab against Rajasthan Royals, Ashwin dismissed Jos Buttler in a run out popularly called ‘Mankading’. Though this is a legally permissible dismissal, it is considered against the spirit of the game, and for the same, Ashwin received heavy criticism from every corner.
- Cricket pundits often consider him as the perfect blend of former Indian spin bowler Bishan Singh Bedi, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, and Erapalli Prasanna.
- He is the third Indian player to win Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy after legendary Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar.
- His all-time favourite skipper is Sourav Ganguly.
- He is the only bowler in cricket history to dismiss Kumar Sangakkara in 4 successive games.
- He is an avid dog lover and whenever he is in Chennai, he loves to take his dogs for a walk in the night.
- He is a movie freak and loves watching every new release at Chennai’s Sathyam Cinema.
- His favorite superhero is ‘Batman.’
Controversies of Ravichandran Ashwin
- In September 2016, during a Tamil Nadu Premier League (TNPL) match, he lost his temperament while batting for Dindigul Dragons against Chepauk Super Gillies. When the batsman on the other end, Jagadeesan Narayan got dismissed, Ashwin and Narayan had a verbal spat and physical tussle with the bowler Kishore who pushed Narayan and passed provocating comments.
- In December 2016, he was trolled on social media as he didn’t mention the name of former captain MS Dhoni in his thank you speech after winning the ICC Best Test Cricketer Award.
- On 19 February 2018, Ashwin promoted a shoe brand on Twitter, to which former South African cricketer Herschelle Gibbs tweeted, “Hopefully you will be able to run faster now Ashwin.” Ashwin counted his tweet by saying, “Surely not as fast as you did mate, unfortunately, I was not as blessed as you were. But I was blessed with a wonderfully ethical mind not to fix games that put food on my plate.” Soon after, Ashwin deleted the tweets respecting his “family of fans.”
Awards and Accolades
- Arjuna Award: 2014
- ICC – Test Team of the Year: 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017
- BCCI’s Dilip Sardesai Award for India’s best cricketer: 2010–11, 2015–16
- BCCI’s Polly Umrigar Award for international cricketer of the year: 2012–13
- ICC Test Player of the Year: 2016
- ICC Cricketer of the Year: 2016
- CEAT International Cricketer of the Year: 2016–17
Ravichandran Ashwin Car collection
The Car collection of Ravichandran Ashwin is quite Small. Ravichandran Ashwin owns a few of the best luxury cars in the world. The Car brands owned by Ravichandran Ashwin include Audi, Rolls-Royce, etc.
Ravichandran Ashwin Social Media Profiles
R Ashwin Batting Stats
R Ashwin Bowling Stats